What is Abbeyfield?

A home within a home, providing security and companionship for seniors

Abbeyfield is a retirement home with a difference – an affordable small-scale, family-style home with a live-in House Coordinator, providing full room and board for seniors who no longer want to live alone but do want to remain as independent as possible. It provides a friendly, supportive and homey atmosphere, with a balance between independence and security, privacy and companionship. The number of residents is kept small to allow the home-like environment to flourish; the house truly becomes a “circle of friends.”

The benefits of living at Abbeyfield include:
 Security
 Good Friends
 Good Meals

Abbeyfield houses are not care facilities and do not provide nursing/personal care. However, residents who require some assistance can arrange to have the same kind of homemaker or home care support at Abbeyfield as they could have had in their own homes, either privately arranged or provided through the Adult/Older Adult services of the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.


Abbeyfield Houses

There are two Vancouver Abbeyfield homes - the Heritage House and the Coach House - located in the Marpole community of Vancouver. The houses are located side by side at 1275 West 67th Avenue (on the corner of 67th Avenue and Hudson Street) close to shopping, buses and the Marpole Oakridge Community Centre at 59th Ave and Oak Street.

The Heritage House, built in 1912 as a private residence, served at one time as the first children’s hospital in Vancouver and was then converted to flats. In the early 1990’s the house had been slated for demolition to make way for an apartment building, but the Marpole residents did not want to see a piece of their history disappear. Their desire to retain the Heritage House coincided with the search for a property by the Abbeyfield Houses of Vancouver Society.

As the property was large enough for a second house, one was built adjoining the Heritage House, and both houses opened September 1993. The second house was named the Coach House.